Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:23:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@skyrunner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: transmit underflow.

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Peter Brezny wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got two digital 4 port Ethernet cards in a system acting as a router.
> I get a lot of these after startup.  What does all this mean?
>
> Mar 31 19:44:59 zeus /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow
> (raising TX threshold to 128|512)

  See the archives.  The cards are starving for transmit data, so the
threshold is increased.  You might want to use a motherboard with a better
PCI implementation, or multiple PCI buses.  Lots of server motherboards
have two to three PCI buses.  Or, use 64bit PCI motherboard and a single
GigE card with VLANs instead.

> I've also recently had a problem with 'too many stray IRQ's'

  Remove or disable the device that is doing that.

> Which effectively took one of these interfaces down.  These digital cards
> run rather hot.  Any suggestions on multiport network cards?

  Better cooling perhaps?  16 ethernet ports is going to generate heat no
matter how you do it.

> Thanks,
>
> Peter Brezny
> Skyrunner.net