Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:15:58 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: prompts

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 08:20:35PM -0700, Bart Trzynadlowski wrote:

> This works great in csh. There is one little quirk: when I cd to /home
> (which is a link to /usr/home) it prints /usr/home and to go down to / I
> have to issue cd ..  twice. In zsh it prints /home and I only have to cd
> .. once. Can this be fixed? Once again, its not a big deal though, just
> curious.

I don't think it can be changed. If it can I don't know how.

> 	But the alias for cd you gave me does not work under sh.

It was for csh only. For sh you set PWD I think.

> And also,
> the character # for superuser and $ or % for user... how does the shell
> change this?

For csh you put the alias in each users ~/.cshrc and for non-root
users edit it, changing ``#'' to ``%''. Normally, if you don't set
the ``prompt'' variable yourself, the shell uses % as the default
for non-root users and # for root.