Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 13:03:01 -0800
From:      Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
To:        Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freeBSD-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and troubles with TCP

--==_Exmh_1841889117P

Well, I noticed one thing from the tcpdump files -- in the 1492 case,
your machine is sending a FIN to www.ssh.com.  In the 1484 case, of
course no FIN is sent.  However, if you look at the 1492 tcpdump you'll
see connection establishment, a packet sent to www.ssh.com (an http
request I assume), a retransmit of that packet a second later
(implying that the first did not arrive), an ack for that packet from
www.ssh.com, and a fin from your box, which is then acknowledged.

I don't know what's causing it, but it appears that the application
you're using is seeing something it doesn't like, and is closing its
socket.  I don't know why the www.ssh.com side does not send its own
FIN -- it should (it may also not be getting to you).

I would look at a tcpdump of a successful connection to
www.freebsd.org with the 1492 config (you said in an earlier post
that this works).  You could also run with a slightly smaller MTU and
declare victory :)

		--eli

> --0-2081754345-1041105297=:86278
>
> --- Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov> wrote:

> > > Thank you for your trying to help me. Your version of ppp.conf is very
> > > similar to mine. I don't have LAN here, but only one box with FreeBSD
> > > connected to the outside world through my ADSL modem. So ' set nat' and
> > > ' set proxy' options are not required in my case. I don't use
> > > ' set ifaddr' option because default arguments of it are good for me.
> > >
> > > I think that the source of my problem isn't in ppp.conf probably,
> > > but somewhere in TCP. Nobody answered me how MTU == MRU == 1484 solves
> > > my problem. Maybe there is a bug in TCP when MTU and MRU have some
> > > unstandard value. When I use Win98SE in the same box and the same ADSL
> > > modem with RASPPPOE driver of PPPoE I have no troubles when the MTU is
> > > 1492 there. This is why I think the source of the problem is in TCP
> > > implementation of FreeBSD. ppp have some dial with TCP, so maybe the
> > > source of the problem is there but most likely not in ppp.conf
> >
> > Are you blocking ICMP for "security reasons?"  If so, you can't do
> > path mtu discovery, and tcp will break if it needs a smaller mtu
> > (which it appears that you do).
>
> No, I'm not blocking ICMP. I have recently installed FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
> with custom kernel that is a little simplified version of GENERIC. There
> is no firewall enabled, yet. Look at CUST01 file in the attachments, this
> is the configuration of the kernel of my system. I also ran `tcpdump -n`
> and saved its output when I ran `links www.ssh.com` in other terminal.
> I did it two times, the first when MRU == MTU == 1492 and the second when
> it was 1484. Look at 1492.log and 1484.log files in the attachments.
>
> P.S. If one blocks ICMP why he have troubles when MTU == MRU == 1492 but
> don't have the troubles when MTU == MRU == 1484 ?

--==_Exmh_1841889117P

--==_Exmh_1841889117P--