Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:29:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 a severe disappointment

> : > Indeed.  FWIW, a friends laptop has a strange allergy to irq 10....
> : > *any* pccard that's given irq 10 will just not work (modem's one
> : > character behind etc), as if the controller itself couldn't handle
> : > it.  In fact, if you give the controller irq 10, nothing works !
> :
> : What probably is the issue is the underlying hardware uses IRQ 10.  On
> : my ThinkPad, the CardBus controller uses up IRQ 10, even though FreeBSD
> : doesn't support Cardbus.  However, I *still* have to assign another IRQ
> : to it for PCMCIA legacy support as well, so I lose two interrupts. :(
>
> There's a problem with interrupt sharing in legacy mode for mode
> cardbus bridges.  Since I don't have the tools to troubleshoot why
> this would be the case (no bus analyser, no clue where to connect it
> if I did, etc), I can only speculate it is due to the level vs edge
> interrupt nature of the card.
>
> The list of interrupts in the pccard's cis is hard coded into roms on
> the pccard itself.  It should be completely ignored.

And to add to this, the entire resource allocation scheme in the cards
can be safely ignored for the most part.  Some of the drivers (most
notably sio) want the card to use the same resources as they expect, but
those resources are assigned by pccardd/kernel, and can be almost
anything that doesn't conflict with already existing devices..

Nate