Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 23:16:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, danny@wildstar.net
Subject:   Re: problem with 3C509 ethernet cards in machine running FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Richard Todd wrote:

> We're having a problem with a Pentium 166 machine with two 3Com Ethernet
> cards in it running FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE and acting as an NFS server.

  The FreeBSD drive for the 3C509 isn't the greatest.  Apparently 3COM has
been less than forthcoming with the hw info.  Some hw revs work better
than others.

  The de0 drive is known to be very solid for 10mbs ethernet cards (has
problems probling 100mbs cards).  I use the SMC Etherpower 10, with NEVER
a problem.

  The Intel PRO100B is supposed to be a very good 100ms card.  The driver
supports full-duplex operation too.

Tom