Date:      12 Mar 1997 01:19:54 -0000
From:      tqbf@char-star.rdist.org
To:        guido@gvr.win.tue.nl, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS security issue...

In article <199703111357.OAA27007@gvr.win.tue.nl>, you wrote:
>I agre. But this is only true for special setups where no systems are involved

I don't agree with you here. The NFS client code in the kernel even
acknowledges that there are servers that require NFS requests to come in
on privileged ports (I believe it's a mount option); I know this is the
case with Suns.

Given that the default is to disallow MOUNT service requests coming from
unprivileged ports, I think there's an inconsistancy happening here.
What's more, the fact that NFS requests work from unprivileged ports means
that users with shell accounts on the NFS server can rapidly guess file
handles over the loopback interface; nothing I can do with packet
filtering or network partitioning can prevent this.

Bad.

>made somethig using a syscvtl variable. Perhaps the discussion should
>be done againb...

Ok, here's my take. Someone needs to document informally the procedure for
creating a sysctl int at arbitrary positions in the kernel MIB - the
sysctl code is a nightmare, and I get the impression that I don't really
need to know how it works to add more object IDs.

Once we know how to do that, the change to sys/nfs/nfs_socket.c to check
privileged ports if "net.inet.nfs.secure" is on is trivial, and can be
committed and tested immediately.

This seems fairly urgent to me. Can I get some information about this?
Thanks!

--
Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]