Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 2004 12:10:43 +0930
From:      Adam Smith <adam@internode.com.au>
To:        "Jay O'Brien" <jayobrien@att.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file system setup for new system - recommendations?

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 05:29:56PM -0700, Jay O'Brien said:
> Here's where I am, and I would appreciate your collective comments. I'm
> persuaded to use 1026MB for swap, 8GB for root (/), 30GB for /backup tars,
> and the remainder for /home.  The /tmp, /usr, and /var directories would
> be included in the 8MB root. Web pages and mailing lists would be in home.
> I would be able to backup directories (or subdirectories) to tar files in
> the backup directory of sizes that wouldn't choke my windows machines when
> ftp'd to them for storage.

I use the following on my laptop:

Filesystem       Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s2a      248M    97M   131M    42%    /
/dev/ad0s2e      248M    17M   211M     7%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s2f       48G    11G    32G    26%    /usr
/dev/ad0s2d      248M    95M   133M    42%    /var

(some, such as devfs, trimmed from output)

If you are looking to build a production machine, it is recommended, if you
can calculate it, to create seperate partitions for /var and /tmp.  That
way if a program runs away and starts filling your system, with logs or
other garbage, it will fill the partition and not impact other critical
areas of your system.

On my server, I have a similar layout, however I'm using 1Gb each for /var
and /tmp.

You should give /usr a lot more than 8Mb, because as your system grows, so
will /usr/local.  All of my custom built software goes in /usr/local, and
as such you will need to give it a lot of room to move.

The FreeBSD ports collection also resides on /usr, and the more software
you compile, the more disk space it will need to extract and compile.  My
/usr/ports tree is currently 1.1Gb.  I don't clean it up very often, so
there are plenty of 'work' directories strewn throughout it.

/usr/src is also stored on the /usr partition, should you choose to install
it.  Mine is currently 368Mb.  You'll need disk space free on /usr if you
ever wish to recompile your kernel, as the compiling is all done in
/usr/obj.

The /home directory, by default, is also stored on /usr/home.   It is just
symlinked as part of a base install to /home.  Of course, you can make this
partition, like any other, completely seperate and give it any size you
like, but depending on the role of your system, you may just wish to set
your partition sizes for /, /tmp, /var, and then give the rest to /usr.
Unless you have a specific requirement for giving your home directories a
smaller amount of room, then you should do this.  If you don't have a
seperate disk for data, most of your data will get stored in your home
directory.

Where possible, I have always set up FreeBSD machines with two disks:  one
for the base system, including /usr, and the other I mount as /data.  This
disk is a physically seperate disk and I use it for data storage.  That way
I can take it out of one machine and put it into another without having to
worry that I'll be taking my core installation with it.

Cheers,

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net

Dog for sale:  Eats lots and is fond of children.