Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:39:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Knight <fbsd-cur@ghostwheel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why doesn't Vinum start automatically?

On Friday, 29 January 1999 at 22:41:52 -0800, Chris Knight wrote:
> There have been changes to rc and rc.conf lately to autostart Vinum.  But
> on my system it does not auto load at start and I wind up manually loading
> the module, reading the config and mounting the volume.  Any help if
> figuring out why this is not working would be appreciated.

As you say, it's happened lately.  But you don't say what version
you're running.  What you show below is not the latest version.

> rc.conf now sets a variable with the drives from to read the config:
>
> 	vinum_slices="/dev/da1 /dev/da2 /dev/da3 /dev/da4"
>
> and rc checks for this variable and loads vinum if it is set:
>
> 	if [ -n "$vinum_slices" ]; then
> 	        if [ -r /modules/vinum.ko ]; then       # jkh paranoia
> 	                kldload vinum
> 	                vinum read $vinum_slices
> 	        else
> 	                echo "Can't find /modules/vinum.ko"
> 	        fi
> 	fi

In -CURRENT it is now:

if [ "X$skip_diskconf" != "XYES" -a -n "$vinum_slices" ]; then
        vinum read $vinum_slices
fi

> Any ideas why this isn't working?  Is it working in -current but not -stable?

It should work, but it has the big problem that it will then try to
create devices in /dev, which is read-only.  This is usually only a
cosmetic problem (the devices should already exist if you closed down
properly), but it means more work is coming.  Probably I'll simplify
it to:

if [ "X$skip_diskconf" != "XYES" -a "X$run_vinum" = "YES" ]; then
        vinum start
fi

I'd be interested to hear what problems you have, though.

Greg