Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:12:07 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> In article <3D289529.95C1EC8A@softweyr.com> Wes wrote:
>
> >spersed.  Zip format makes a lot of sense and is available in library
> >format, but I could easily tolerate tar or cpio, as well as a variety
> >of compression formats.  The metadata should not be compressed for
> >speed of package processing.
>
> `pax' format provides for a convenient extension-header mechanism that
> would make this relatively easy to accomplish without inventing a new
> archive format.

One of these days I'm going to tear pax apart, make it pretty (and
hopefully a bit faster), and give it back to the world as the gift it
has needed for years.  Turn most of it into a library in the process,
too, so the code can be shared with tools like we're discussing.

Unless I can talk YOU into doing it instead, Garrett?  ;^)