Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:57:29 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Cc:        nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp, billf@FreeBSD.ORG, cpiazza@home.net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/11013: port audio/8hz-mp3: source not distributed

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Seigo TANIMURA wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:44:49 +0300 (EEST),
>   Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee> said:
>
> narvi> Exactly why should we not port it? More exactly, why should we remove the
> narvi> port?
>
> narvi> The mp3 patent is not in effect everywhere.
>
> narvi> And it doesn't really matter if 8hz can distribute the sources or not.
> narvi> They exists and people have them.
>
> narvi> The sources aren't illegal.
>

> Could you please have a look at:
>
> http://www.iis.fhg.de/amm/legal/index.html#2.2
>
> If we distribute the 8hz encoder by ourselves, we have to pay for the royalty
> because they developed the encoder by themselves.
>
> Lame(Lamer) has no problems. It is a patch, not an encoder... (at least they say so)

I have seen it. If we don't distribute the package (and the port is marked
FORBIDDEN, so we don't), we don't distribute it in neither source nor
source form.

The *PORT* itself does not contain any patented code and is thus OK.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.