Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:05:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave Belfer-Shevett <shevett@homeport.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Complex question regarding usbd initialization.

Afternoon folks.  This is sort of a complex question, and if its better
suited for another list, please let me know and I'll forward to that list.

I'm running 4.4-RELEASE and trying to build an entire system into a 16meg
CF disk that is permanently installed into a workstation (these are
iOpeners, if anyone is familiar with them).  The goal is to make a 'thin'
boot client that will come up, configure the USB ethernet interface, and
mount its /usr, /var, etc volumes from an NFS server.

I have gotten enough in place to boot the kernel and come up in single
user mode, getting a shell prompt and being able to do maintenance on the
system.  At this point I'd like to bring up the network interface and
continue the boot sequence.

Since the ethernet interface is 'aue0', and is enabled via 'usbd', I can
invoke 'usbd', and the kernel happily responds by showing me that yes, in
fact, there is a USB ethernet card, and it is configured as aue0 with
ethernet hardware address yaddyaddyadda.

However, if I try to do anything with the interface, such as ifconfig it,
the system wedges.  It wedges in an odd way - keystrokes are not echoed
immediately, but they -will- echo at the rate of about 1 per 5 seconds.

Now, if I boot a full 4.4-RELEASE distribution, and halt it in single user
mode (boot -s), and do 'usbd', I get the same behaviour.  What I'm
suspecting is that something usbd is needing is not available or not
loaded, but I don't know the 'minimum' sequence to get to the point where
aue0 is up and available.  I only have 16meg on the Sundisk to work with,
and I'm down to around a meg free after setting up /etc, /sbin, what is
needed in /dev, and /boot, plus the kernel of course.  I'll be trimming
down the kernel soon, but that'll only get me another meg and a half or
so.

Any suggestions?  I do plan on documenting this when I complete it.  The
iOpeners make -great- thin clients.

	-d.

Dave Belfer-Shevett\ KB1FWR \
shevett@pobox.com  /   'This employee should go far -- and the    \
------------------<  sooner he starts, the better.'  (quote from   |
                  |        an employee performance review)         |