Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:17:35 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        RichardH <richardh@wsonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can you say off-list? (was This is an insult)

> There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We
> don't believe this to be a coincidence.
> —Jeremy S. Anderson

The discovery of LSD was made in Basel, Switzerland by a
Swiss Chemist, Albert Hoffman, in 1938; LSD's hallucinogenic
properties discovered by the same scientist in 1943.  LSD was
productized by Sandoz, a Swiss company.  See www.hoffman.org.

The LSD guru Timothy Leary (of "turn on, tune in, drop out"
fame) was a Harvard Prof. at the time -- when LSD supposedly
came out of Berkeley.  I recall reading about LSD experiments
by Ken Kesey (Author of One Flew over Cuckoo's Nest and more
-- read up about him!) & friends in mid 60s at Palo Alto, La
Jolla and Stanford, all in CA but not quite Berkeley.  Heck, even
the gummint was in it -- Kesey was a test subject in a govt.
funded study of hallucinogenic drugs including LSD at Menlo
Park, CA. [what where they going to do, bomb Vietnam with LSD
pills?]  All this before the whole counter culture "movement"
really took off.  Before Hippies and the Haight-Ashbury
crowds (also not in Berkeley).

But don't let a few facts get in the way of believing a cute
sounding phrase;-)  Who is this Jeremy Anderson guy and did
he actually say this and if he did just what was he ingesting
at the time?!