Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 21:22:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>, hackers list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Native Applixware for FreeBSD -- When?

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> I am sorry . Isn't that a linux thingy ?? 8)

Well most of KDE is.  But hey, if I come across something that is Linux
only, I try and commit a fix (as does the other "resident FreeBSD nut"
Hans Petter Bieker).  If you've got a post-egcs -CURRENT, KDE && KOffice
should at least compile.

> Well, okay since I haven't seen KOffice and from
> my recollection is a collection of  applications.

Yes.  And you can find more information about it at
http://koffice.kde.org

> What can you tell us about the underlying properties
> of koffice documents? Does use a standar markup
> language like XML and styling markup like XSL ,
> does it use word style document format, etc...??

It uses XML natively, but there are a few filters included.  It's very
much a work in progress.

http://koffice.kde.org/faq/faq-5.html#ss5.3 (File format)
http://koffice.kde.org/faq/faq-6.html (KWord in general)

The only downside (besides the fact that it's not even in its alpha
phase), is that it uses MICO, which means that it will take a few hours at
least (on a single PII/450) to compile everything

- alex