Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 15:05:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

 * From: "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>

 * I tend to agree with the position that we have more time to go before
 * 3.0 is ready...  Those users who really really want SMP, kernel
 * threads, AIO or whatever fancy new feature that is going into
 * -current will have to realize that the code is pre-release and
 * immature, and tracking the code will require more effort than code
 * that is released and stabilized.

You are absolutely right.  But only problem is that there are pretty
stable things (like 2-way SMP) as well as definitely work on progress
stuff (AIO to pick the latest example).  Since we only have one
-current, we can't cut 3.0R until everything stabilizes.  Which is a
real shame, because we are losing the market share right now to those
who already offer SMP in their releases.

No, I don't know what we should do.  We definitely don't want to
branch the tree any further, and merging SMP into 2.2-stable is out of
question.  It's just frustrating to me (who's pretty much an outsider
when it comes to /usr/src) to watch the 3.0 release date slip and slip
while there is already quite release-quality work in there.

Satoshi