Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:27:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        j_mini@efn.org (Jonathan Mini)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Screen savers for syscons....

>   Lately I've been running FreeBSD 2.1.5-R with a MDA/Herc monitor, and
> I've been slowly getting annoyed at the screen savers (or lack thereof)
> for FreeBSD. Currently, I have to turn my monitor off, since the screen
> savers supplied with FreeBSD won't work on my MDA adapter. Is it jsut me
> or do they only work on VGA displays? (I haven't tried using an EGA
> display) If the screen savers only work on VGA displays, they should at least
> take advantage of the graphics device available.

No, they definitely do work on mono, CGA, and EGA displays.  I have
machines with each of these.  (I generally do not place a lot of
importance on the console of a machine...)  I generally run star or
snake saver.  Do not know about the others, but I would assume they
work.

A few new savers might be cool but I am not sure I would want any that
try to do graphics modes...

... JG