Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 1995 12:34:02 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and swap

In lists.freebsd.current you write:

>>> BTW, It stayed at 14MB when I exited Netscape.
>>
>>Either I'm behind the times, or you are failing to understand a fundamental
>>fact about memory allocation under BSD (and IIRC most unices.)
>>
>>Processes can only ever grow, they can never shrink.

>   Fundamental? BSD malloc doesn't free memory back to the system, but
>GNU malloc and several others do. We plan to switch to one of these other
>mallocs (not a GPL'd one) at some point in the future (perhaps 2.2).

Unfortunatly in the X server situation, it helps but the server still grows
amazingly large over time.  Using gnumalloc just increases time.  My server
grows to 15m within a day of starting it, and stays there :(.

-Crh
--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/