Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2014 19:21:50 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Cc:        conrad.meyer@emc.com
Subject:   Building clang in buildworld as part of the bootstrap process -- is it really necessary?

Hi all,
    One of the questions that came up from a co-worker is "why do I
need to build clang in buildworld if I already installed it from
ports"? I could see some valid reasons for doing this (one needs a
cross-compiler, one might need specific options that might not be set
in the ports version), but for native builds I would tend to agree
with this logic. With gcc it was wasteful building the compiler each
buildworld, but with clang it seems annoying continuing on this path
because the compile takes a long time to complete.
    Alternatively, would anyone be opposed to adding some logic to
automatically bypass the bootstrap compiler, i.e. add some logic to
Makefile.inc1 that would skip compiling clang/gcc if and only if the
target triplet and version met some required values?
Thanks!
-Garrett