Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:07:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@flamingo.McKusick.COM>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interesting results from softupdates/postmark test (was Re: softupdates and debug.max_softdeps)

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Kirk McKusick wrote:

> Delta 1.40 to ffs_softdep.c (12/16/1999) fixes the `hanging
> while holding a lock' problem. It should be propagated to the
> 3.X branch.
>
> I have been working on a number of performance improvements to
> soft updates that will hopefully assist in the postmark
> benchmarks. Hopefully they will be ready to incorporate in
> the next week or so. I'll send them to you (Matt) when I am
> convinced that they are at least semantically correct to try
> out.
>
> 	Kirk

  Well, I just cvsup'ed my copy of 3.4-stable, and I found that
ffs_softdep.c is at:

 *
 *      from: @(#)ffs_softdep.c 9.36 (McKusick) 5/6/99
 * $FreeBSD: src/sys/contrib/softupdates/ffs_softdep.c,v 1.34.2.3
1999/08/29 16:22:08 peter Exp $
 */

  So I guess, ffs_softdep.c in -stable doesn't have the patch you did in
December, because there have been no commits since August.  Is anyone able
to commit this change back to -stable?

Tom
Uniserve