Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:31:03 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

In message <199903111020.SAA06918@netrinsics.com>, Michael Robinson writes:
>"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> writes:
>>I hereby encourage all of those PCCARD hopefuls out there
>>to rally around your new spiritual leader, Scott Mitchell, as he's
>>now The Guy.
>
>Welcome spiritual leader!
>
>May I humbly submit that your first (or nearly first) order of business should
>be getting the Cathedral architects to cough up some blueprints, so that we
>mere rockbangers might labor with focus and direction?

The basic architecture is pretty straightforward if you think about it:

  Device drivers should to the extent sensible and possible be independent
  of the attachement of the device (pccard/isa-card/pci/integrated function)

  Device drivers should probe and attach after the system is "up" rather
  than before interrupts and timers and stuff work.

  Device drivers must be able to handle, as sensible as possible that
  devices go away (with or without warning).

I will happily help you guys hash out these things, but I would
far prefer that you guys take a bite out of it yourself first, that
way credit goes where credit belongs.

First though, do a bit of background study:

Suggest you start by examining the "new bus" stuff which is happening
on the side (ask Garrett, Dough and that gang)

Figure out how a docking station works (PnP)

Find the basics of PCCard and CardBus and hot-plug PCI.

All the while, think about how this "should Do The Right Thing" on a
UNIX machine...

We can get Jonathan to create us a mail-list for this once we gain
momentum.

Keep me in the loop...

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!