Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:27:17 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Arplookup error.

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 12:55:19AM -0500, Dragoncrest wrote:

[Warnings about ethernet addresses]
=20
> >I'd like to know this too. I have a FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE box that exhibit=
s=20
> >the
> >same symptoms. The addresses it complains about belong to a colo box on =
our
> >network and a cisco router.
>=20
>         That's a big Ditto for me too.  I got the same problem on one of=
=20
> my bsd workstations up at work too, but only when accessing either of our=
=20
> two Oracle servers.  So yeah, I'd love to know the resolution to this too=
=20
> if someone finds one.  :)

The warnings you're seeing are there to help pick up some common
configuration errors on the local network.  However, it is perfectly
reasonable to design a network that does those sort of things
deliberately: this seems to be the case with several common DSL or
Cable Modem setups nowadays.

You can turn off some types of warning by:

   # sysctl net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface=3D0
   # sysctl net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_movements=3D0

Use sysctl.conf(5) to have those values set automatically on reboot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way