Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 20:10:02 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        John Lawson <mage@channelpoint.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't login to the GUI ... login box comes right back

I've always been a fan of tar.
cd /
tar -clf - * |(cd /mnt/root;tar -xvf -)

should do the same thing, but I'm not sure about everything.  I don't
use cpio much but I'm very confident in the handling of permissions and
the like in tar.  If you're able to (since the old virtual drive is
still there) try this instead, let me know.  So you don't have to man
page thats...
in the root directory.  create a tar archive (c) don't cross mountpoints
(l) the filename is next (f) - means stdout.  Then send it through a
pipe which after cding to /mnt/root will then extract a tar archive (x)
and be verbose about it (v, don't use on first tar) and the file is next
(f) - means stdin.  let me know how it goes.

Hoping this is helping, I'll send this to the list also and see what
others say...

Laurence