Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 00:48:01 -0400
From:      Marc Tardif <admin@pcr.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   modssl and CA

I'm running into OpenSSL problems and don't know where to turn to
anymore. I'm hoping the FreeBSD mailing list will be able to provide
some guidance, as it has answered most of my lifes questions already.

apache+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.2 has been installed on my
FreeBSD-CURRENT machine from the ports. The problem lies in the
certification of a real SSL server Certificate with my own Certification
Authority. I have followed the instructions at
http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.4/ssl_faq.html#ToC24, which are summarized
below:
$ openssl genrsa -des3 -out ca.key 1024
$ openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -key ca.key -out ca.crt
$ openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
$ openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
$ ./sign.sh server.csr

Then, I get the following error message:
error 7 at 0 depth lookup:certificate signature failure

I've looked all over the modssl documentation, but couldn't find the
answer to this problem. I've also attempted to read the support page at
www.modssl.org/support, but it's blank...

Thanks in advance,
Marc