Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 07:34:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, julian@whistle.com
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads goals  version III

> 10a/  Quick access to mutex state.
>
> One of the things that affects the performance of a threaded application
> is the time that is consumed testing the state of a mutex. Without trying
> to push this discussion into the "how it should be done phase", just
> consider sharing mutex state between user- and kernel- space. We will
> need a VM wizard at some point. 8-)

I think scheduler activations solves this problem, so that the
kernel need not now if a thread holds critical resources such
as a mutex.  Under scheduler activations, the threads library
is informed of all events that affect scheduling, so that if
a thread is swapped out while holding a critical resource, it
can be resumed on the next available LWP.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com