Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 01:48:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bde@zeta.org.au, dufault@hda, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

> Of course either solution will be a lot more difficult to implement
> initially, but should ultimately provide both faster and safer metadata
> updates, while simultaneously eliminating fsck delays during crash
> recovery!  At least that's how I read things.  I'm still a newbie kernel
> hacker, after all...  Comments?

Our breakage of the BSD-LFS code isn't all that bad.  I had it running
pre-merged VM/Buffer Cache, and it was kind-of unstable, but very fast
to say the least.  ANYONE who is going to make a bona-fide attempt to
get it working with FreeBSD will get alot of my hacking time for help.

It is missing an LFSCK, and contrary to what alot of people might say, IMO it
is needed.  That is likely where most of the work would be.

My guess is that just getting LFS running sort-of reliably would be 2wks+- full
time of work, if you understand things to begin with.  It is not a night or
two of work, but probably not a couple of months full time either.  There are
some patches from Margot (I am not sure if we have integrated them), and also
some VM system work (to eliminate alot of usually unnecessary copies).
If someone will take the project on, and get the code running as-is, I will
do the work to clean up the VM stuff (and help with working the kernel
VM/vfs_bio interface issues.)

Jeffery Hsu is working on the VFS stuff right now, so I would suggest waiting
until his stuff settles out (or at least track it), but alot of prelim work
could start immediately.

So, I guess what I am saying is that if someone will take the lead, I'll
help!!!

John