Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:34:37 -0800
From:      Frysco! <francisco@vulpes.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing onto a Toshiba 2805-S201

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 02:38:43AM -0500, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> Frysco! <francisco@vulpes.net> probably said:
> >  I've removed as much of the extraneous windows 'bumf' as I'm
> >  comfortable with, and have about 850Mb in use on the Windows. I've
> >  gone in with both FIPS and PResizer, and can't seem to reduce the
> >  Windows partition down to less than 1576Mb.
>
> Have you tried defragging the disk ?
>
> Although it is payware, I do recommend partition magic for this kind
> of thing, it seems to deal a lot better.

Well, I managed to get the thing installed finally, and it did take to
resorting to Partition Magic - at least in some respect.

I managed to get the Windows C: drive down further to just under 1gb (I
think I got it to 1019Mb), booted up from the floppies and tried to
allocate the remaining space to FreeBSD. Once again, however, I was told
that the space I was trying to allocate was too big/unavailable/whatever.
Finally, I got around this problem by going back into the partition
editor, creating a 5Mb partition-of-no-real-consequence (meaning I didn't
really care what ID it had), then adding the FreeBSD space behind that.
Strangely enough, the label editor allowed me to slice up that parition
fine after that - but I'm still not sure why. I gave FreeBSD about 3gb to
play with, and put the remainder of the space at the end of the disk back
to Windows.

I guess it's not pretty, but at least it's working now.

Thanks,
--
Frysco!
francisco@vulpes.net