Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:22:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net>
To:        Simara <simara@mail.cyberlink.com.pe>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Roadmap and Weak Spots - A regular SysAdmin perspective

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Simara wrote:
> 1. There is no roadmap of the OS, sorry if I didn't found it but if its
> there its really hard to find!, I've read most of the docs, website and so
> forth. (nobody really using the system knows what are the goals for the next
> release, what long term plans...), and that is REALLY a turn down from
> decision makers or people trying to invest, partners to support and
> companies to get involved.

You've just shown that there being no "roadmap," as you say, is actually an
advantage, not a disadvantage.  Once the investors, etc. get involved, then
companies like Microbletch^H^H^H^H^H^Hsoft begin investing and destroying
things.  I'm sure that Microsoft would love to be able to sink huge sums of
money into FreeBSD or Linux so as to be able to make them unavailable.

> 2. FreeBSD (or maybe the complete BSD family) should get their own GUI built
> for BSD, I'm not saying that you kick Xf86 down the road, maybe have the

Do you mean something other than X11, or are you just referring to
XF86 in particular?

> opportunity to select either of them, but if this is accomplished you could
> get a lot of people on your backs congratulating and a lot of home users
> migrating, I personally love to have XF86 and a lot of flavors of window
> managers but enough is enough. With the new GUI we can all get rid of the
> comparison to Linux and other free OS (Just like www.AtheOS.cx is doing and

It's not only the free flavors of UNIX-like operating systems that use
X11, but the commercial ones as well, and surely you have to admit
that XF86 is nicer to use than what comes with SCO Openserver, for
example.  Is Motif available for FreeBSD?

> 3. INNOVATION!!!!. Well *NIX has been here a long time, and you guys have
> make almost perfection from the heritance but there are no new stuff besides
> IPSec, Kerberos and IPV6 Support (I know Corba is there but to make corba

Speaking of IPv6, that's scary... can be used for hardware
authentication, e.g.  ethernet board identification to identify who
does what and goes where on the 'net.  Hopefully this Orwellian
"functionality" can be be done away with.

> really compatible is a real pain you know where, been there done that), and
> I really Like COM, ASP, and other things Microsoft has provided (That Corba
> and JSP and PHP and others have copied just fine). I know most of you guys
> don't like Microsoft, personally I think the 9x branch is a waste of time

"don't like" is an understatement.  I can think of fewer things being
nicer than Micro$loth going away and taking the Gates of Hell with it.

> but NT or 2000 are good from my point of view (learning curve perspective),

NT is a castrated VMS wannabe with a Windoze interface glued on it; I
understand that some of the good things originally designed into VMS,
by Dave Cutler were removed for marketing/bizdroid purposes.

> and please don't harass me respecting this point I made or you'll all look

Why not?

> like Linux MS haters that is sometimes pathetic.

No, we'll just look like FreeBSD MS haters. :-) :-) :-) What's truly
pathetic are the Microsoft lovers... they need to use use Emacs and do
an "M-x doctor."  Actually, should there not be a category in the DSM
for those who willingly use, and believe that they like, Microsoft
products?

> Please don't hate me for what I tried to explain as crystal clear as

No, I just pity you for your positive feelings towards Microsoft. :-)
I've nothing avaoist commercial operating systems, but I don't like
monopolistic companies that produce poor quality products and market
them using unscrupulous business tactics.

> possible, I may be wrong with most of this issues and I would like in that
> case a founded perspective, I really love the OS and it could hit the market
> prime time with a little extra effort (Kill that hackers-Only image)

Yes, it could, and, it would automagically have a great big tarket
painted on it that Microsoft would aim for.  That is, it would be an
investment target slated for destruction.  Why do you want to see
something as nice to use as FreeBSD destroyed?

Just my 2-cents worth.

--
R. D. Davis
rdd@perqlogic.com