Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:27:36 -0600
From:      "Tomek" <tomek@mpionline.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Whats to stop one user from being root?

Hey there,
I have 2 questions really, maybe they are obvious, maybe not.

1. What is to stop a user program from calling half way in the middle of
"chmod" for example and bypassing any security checking code? I know
this would be highly depending on kernal version, but is there
protection against this?

2. In reference to the telnet buffer overflow security problem, how is
it that something as simple as fetching data for login name and data for
password was not protected? If anyone has any links to detailed
information about WHY the buffer overrun works (in great detail), please
let me know. Its currently beyond me why the incoming data wasn't
limited in size before any processing at all.

Thanks,
Tomek