Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:47:57 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple&silly wish to know port dependency.

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:45:22AM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. When I make deinstall a port I often get the message:
> port xxx depends on this port, but I'll still deinstall it anyway.
>
> That's really frustrating. I'd like to be able to know who depends on it
> before de-installing it. Any suggestions?
>
> Look through the handbook I didn't find an answer.

There is that a port that handels this for you. It called portupgrade
and is in the sysutils directory.  Pkg_deinstall package doesn't
deinstall a package when its requered by another, however error do take
place. (All ports become packages afther there compiled.)
--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/