Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:38:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New AMD64 owner

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> It's a kernel/loader issue, mostly. The stack layout is very
> different in 64 bit mode than in 32 bit mode (or so I gather from
> messages from DAvid & James). This means that when running 32 bit
> apps, the stack needs to be treated differently, and the kernel
> doesn't do that right (yet).

    Right, so really more of an issue on our side having kernel/loader
functionality catch up to what the hardware should be capable of.

> It's been said several times on this list that running an amd64 as
> an i386 works quite well and _is_ really fast. I can't confirm that,
> though.

    That's great... I don't *need* a 64-bit environment right now, but
I figured since I'm dropping the cash on a system like this, I better
buy something that'll last me a few years... okay, i386 it is then, at
least for now.

> SATA seems to be the primary source of woe on this list right now.
> Check the archives a little. For me, with a consumer-grade asus k8v,
> everything just worked.

    Soren committed a 3114-related patch to the atapci stuff very
recently (like less than 2 weeks ago, I think), so I'll have to
investigate that.  I suppose at the very least, I can hook up any old
IDE drive, install/boot from that, then look at getting the SATA stuff
working.  Thanks for your comments.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)