Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:24:37 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Anti <fearow@attbi.com>
Cc:        list@linopryne.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why BIND and sendmail installed by default?

On 2003-03-13 17:46, Anti <fearow@attbi.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:11:48 +0200
>Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> really very, *very*, basic services that a Unix machine should be
>> ready to serve without having to go through tons of ports/packages
>> just to install bind.
>
> why not just have the package install by default so those who don't
> want it can easily remove it?

"Because nobody has done it until now" is the best answer to this oft
repeated question.  Because if FreeBSD degenerates to the case of most
Linux distributions where one needs to remember the 'dependencies' of
a million packages, in order to have a complete and working Unix
system up in a breeze, then it won't be FreeBSD anymore I guess... etc.

This question has often been asked, answered and beaten to death :-/

> [snip a bunch of arguments moot were the packages installed by
> default instead of making everything part of the base system]

>> With a spare partition /dev/ad0s2a that can be used as a temp root
>> directory the process should be as easy as:
>[snip]
>
> you don't need a spare partition, any empty directory will do. whenever
> i install freebsd i do a minimal install, then build and install world
> and kernel from source with everything possible disabled in make.conf,
> then installkernel, installworld, mergemaster -i -D to an empty
> directory, then use diff to find all the crap that can be deleted.

That too.  I use a spare partition here at home to make sure I can
always boot back and forth between the two installations :-)

- Giorgos