Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 1995 14:59:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Superblocks getting trashed with -current

About 3 weeks ago I had a problem after running a -current kernel
where the superblock on my /usr file system got trashed.  Fsck
was able to use the next alternate superblock without any problems
and the file system was fine.  I've been running with a kernel
dated 7/31 since that time.

Today I started running a -current kernel again, and my / file system
had the superblock trashed in the same manner after a clean shutdown
and reboot:

"NCG out of range" (NCG=# of cylinder groups) was reported by fsck.

This one was harder to recover from because the boot manager
would simply reboot after doing anything at the "boot:" prompt.

I just saw a message in the past day or two from someone else that
reported they had a trashed superblock.  It looks like something
in -current is eating them.

Can the other person who saw this problem contact me so
we can see if we have something common in our configurations?

Anyone else seeing problems like this?

Some of my relevant info is: -current kernel, Adaptec 2842VL controller
on the file systems that got trashed, and I also run with an Adaptec 1542B
in the machine.  The disk in question is a Seagate Hawk ST31230N.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@mpp.minn.net