Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 10:01:45 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Doug White' <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   RE: How do I check out from a local CVS tree?

	Thanks!

	Just out of curiosity though, this appears to be one of the only
command where no one wants to use a command line argument.  They'd all
rather use an environment variable.  I'm curious why this is.  I would think
if I were executing this from cron or something of the like using:

		cvs -d /usr/cvs co -d /usr/src -r RELENG_3 src

	...would be a better option.  Seeing as SO many people have
suggested using the env variable, is it better to do things that way, or is
this just a coincidence?  I'm not used to such consistency when it comes to
answers to my questions.  There's always more than one way to do things in
UNIX and that is usually evident in the replies to peoples questions.  :)

> > I can't seem to search the mailing list archives anymore.  The search
> works
> > fine but the URLs to all the messages have odd characters, which return
> > pages that don't exist.  (But that's another issue.)
>
> man cvs

	I had looked at that, and was a bit confused, unfortunately.
Someone else suggested using 'info cvs'.  The info pages were alot more
informative.

> Did you pull the actual tree or did you run cvsup in checkout mode?

	I used cvsup as per the FAQ page
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ243.html#246 on making your own release.  I
have since used that to build a release successfully, and am have checked
out the source tree with cvs (last night), everything appears to be in
order, so I'm not going to complain.

	If I can't make buildworld in the near future, I'll consider another
way of pulling the cvs tree.

> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org