Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2012 18:32:24 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Chris Nehren <apeiron+freebsd-stable@isuckatdomains.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?
References:  <C480320C-0CD9-4B61-8AFB-37085C820AB7@FreeBSD.org> <1405746.nVtAo183hi@x220.ovitrap.com> <4FC9FECC.8090703@digsys.bg> <3303845.JjFTmctz7f@x220.ovitrap.com> <4FCA0B5F.5010500@digsys.bg> <4FCA20C5.6010901@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <CADLo83-7VvmBOnG=%2Bm7q2MKyYOe-YoE=ctqFEfzZJVuEdk8VGQ@mail.gmail.com> <95D35900-AC63-4948-B54F-40041FFCB232@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> <20120602185601.GD2309@isuckatdomains.members.linode.com>

On Jun 2, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Chris Nehren wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 14:11:06 -0400 , Paul Mather wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the solution is for the end user.  I know I get
>> somewhat leery of updating my ports if I see a large number of =
changes
>> coming via portsnap (like the 4000+ that accompanied the recent =
libpng
>> upgrade) and there is nothing new in UPDATING (which, happily wasn't
>> the case with the libpng upgrade).  Usually, I wait a while for the
>> dust to clear and an UPDATING entry potentially to appear.
>=20
> If you're concerned about things breaking, don't follow the bleeding
> edge. This seems to be common sense.

Unfortunately, unlike the base operating system, which has -CURRENT, =
-STABLE, and -RELEASE, there is no well-defined "bleeding edge" in the =
case of ports.  (Although there is a strong case to be made that it is =
analogous to -CURRENT.)  So, as I said above, you have to fall back on =
heuristics to determine when it is best to update (with the caveat that =
waiting too long to update can also be as troublesome as updating too =
quickly).  Certainly, it's far from a case of "read UPDATING and you'll =
be okay," as someone in this thread was seeming to imply.

NetBSD's pkgsrc has a nice feature: the quarterly package branches.  =
These follow a quarterly release cycle and receive only security =
updates.  It makes pkgsrc more akin to -CURRENT and -STABLE (or =
-RELEASE) instead of just -CURRENT.

>> Maybe the solution is to track the freebsd-ports mailing list get get
>> advanced warning of large changes, but that would mean following
>> another high-volume list. :-(
>=20
> And any decent mailer setup can filter those messages for you, leaving
> only the messages relevant to ports you're interested in. There are =
also
> systems like gmane which provide an NNTP feed for mailing lists.
> Combined with a newsreader with good killfile / scoring features, it
> shouldn't be hard to keep up.

Probably not, but then again you're still relying on it breaking for =
someone else (and thereby being reported) to avoid it breaking for you. =
:-)

I'm not saying these are insurmountable problems, and, in my experience, =
most of the time ports updates go smoothly.  But, it can present more of =
a challenge for those that are running an individual FreeBSD system (as =
their desktop/laptop system, say), and especially if they are using =
non-default port options in the ports they install, as these don't get =
the benefit of widespread testing.

Cheers,

Paul.