Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:12:17 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andy Hilker <ah@crypta.net>
Subject:   Re: device carp / freebsd-update

--nextPart1313234.ZObVffZ0H5

Hello Andy,

On Monday 21 August 2006 15:53, Andy Hilker wrote:
> we are currently migrating our hosts to 6.1-RELEASE with official
> binaries (from CD). This is because we want to make use of
> freebsd-update binary patches.
>
> Our problem is that GENERIC kernel does not contain "device carp".
> Is there any posibility to use carp without "device carp" in GENERIC
> e.g. with /boot/loader.conf like other pseudo devices?

No, there is no such possibility.  The reason for this, is that carp(4)=20
has to register a protocol which cannot be (easily) done on-the-fly. =20
Since you should have a fail-over running it shouldn't be a problem to=20
build a carp enabled backup while the failover host takes care of the=20
service, however.

As a fallback there is a userland implementaion of carp (google "ucarp"),=20
but I am not sure what the status of that is or if it works with the=20
in-kernel version.

=2D-=20