Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:56:04 +0100
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@freebsd.org>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Move "search" from /usr/ports/Makefile to bsd.port.mk

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 05:28:46PM -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> This more or less equates to rewriting the search target.  Currently
> search works by doing a simple grep through the ports/INDEX file.
> Probably easy enough to make it grep for both a key and a category.
>
> To make it work in an arbitrary subdir would be different.  The
> INDEX is mostly constructed from the output of make describe.  The
> describe target will work in an arbitrary subdir.  It wouldn't be
> hard to do

This type of thing can be done very easily with my FreeBSD::Ports::*
Perl modules:
  my $ports = tie my %port, 'FreeBSD::Ports::Index', '/usr/ports/INDEX';
  $ports->category('audio');
  print $_->as_ascii foreach keys %port;

> And that will work and give the desired effect (tested), but it will
> be slow.

Yes, parsing the INDEX file is slow. Version 0.02 of my modules will
hopefully use Perl's Storable, or something similar, to dump out a
parsed version of an INDEX file.

Unfortunately, I've not had any time to work on these modules in
ages, but I'm hoping to get more work done some time in August.

Regards,
Tom