Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2017 17:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      DTD <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to repair a package
References:  <alpine.BSF.2.00.1709051339230.17076@bucksport.safeport.com> <CA%2BtpaK25Qek=%2B3he=1Ou0vZNsGxbNTCG=p9qsjJ%2BTAYPZ4DF7Q@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1709051418550.92990@bucksport.safeport.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1709051435270.17076@bucksport.safeport.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1709051507290.17076@bucksport.safeport.com> <CA%2BtpaK0jy=kcEMVs39a532z70EFj3z=SCC_Mz2V4K3603WUD8A@mail.gmail.com>

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 2:11 PM, DTD <doug@safeport.com> wrote:
>       Okay from pkg help upgrade:
>         ...However, explicitly running pkg update is not normally necessary.  By
>            default invoking either of pkg install or pkg upgrade will cause repository
>            catalogues to be updated automatically, unless disabled by setting
>            REPO_AUTOUPDATE to false in pkg.conf(5).
>
>       I find nothing via google or questions to suggest anything beyond this. This is a
>       10.3 system BTW. Differences in 11.x??
>
> You were correct, I meant pkg upgrade -y.
>
> The pkg solver is supposed to correctly handle updates.  However if you've been doing mix and
> match updates along the way you may have made a bed you now have to lie in.

All are packages, but the dependencies are far too complex at least with xfce.
Work/not working depends on the project developers correctly defining the
dependencies and requirements. It would be nice if we could depend on being able
to update within a FreeBSD version, e.g., 10.3, but that is not always the case.

For example if on a clean system you install xorg, xdm, xfce, and firefox (in
that order), firefox does not work (on 10.3). You have to install firefox before
xfce. Here I know package/port for firefox matters not because I had an "empty"
ports tree to install against and I tried a number of ways of building firefox
to get around the issue. All the other components are too big to build on my
systems.

In any case there is nothing wrong with my system as installed except a package
needs to have a missing module replaced. I also think the seg fault doing 'pkg
install' is an indication of an issue having nothing to do with the pkg
database. I am sure mixing packages and ports does not matter. What matters is
that the dependency database has the correct information. If I am wrong here
lets update the handbook guys.

The firefox issue happens based on the version and (what I think is a bug in)
the make file that does not define the minimal level of the sqlite component
that version 50 (and beyond??) requires.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com