Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:15:43 -0700
From:      David King <dking@ketralnis.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

> Very cool looking computer!  But, with a Duo core in it, it HAS to
> create
> some heat, thus some fans.

My MacBook Pro gets pretty hot, but runs fanless most of the time.
It's a Core Duo.

> The only things I've seen that run fanless are Via based, fast
> enough for
> email-web etc. but probably not much of a game machine.

Yes, the Via's aren't the most performant, though. They would be fine
for my purposes if they were slow but dual-core, unfortunately they
are just slow. I'm not looking for a game machine, though, I'm
looking for a quiet server for a home-office that can witstand a long-
running single-threaded process that sucks up most of the CPU, hence
the call for dual-core (since then it will only be able to suck up
one CPU). It's replacing a single 350 MHz "server," so even dual-core
600 MHz would be a step up.

> I've been toying with the idea of building one of those for our home
> computer.

Let me know if you get something quiet and acceptably performant, I
might ask for advice or your services :)