Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:58:29 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Annelise Anderson' <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: vnconfig on bootup?

I feel like we're having 2 different conversations here, please see my
response below...

	At what point did I use the work "configuring" that you seem to be
having so much trouble with.

	I am WELL aware of what "vnconfig" and "vnconfig -a" do and am
having no troubles with the concept.  I have 3 vnX devices currently
"configured" and working properly.  This is not my issue, never has been my
issue, and I never implied or stated that it was my issue.

	Now that I've gotten that off my chest...

> So all you have to do is fill out /etc/vntab and run vnconfig -a from
> any convenient place, such as a script that runs on boot or is called on
> boot, as mentioned in the last message.

	Not entirely accurate.  The mounting options in /etc/vntab only
appear to work on specific filesystems, at least that appears to be my
trouble at this point.  In my case the "filesystems" in question are not UFS
and using the mount options in the /etc/vntab file only generate errors.

	If I am missing an option here, please correct me.  My "filesystems"
are cd9660 format.  When I use mount=, or mountro=, it returns an error to
me.  I don't have the error in front of me as I'm not at the system.  I can
come back with that at a later time.

> I think that in the sense you are talking about, the device nodes are
> "configured" in that they're ready for use if they exist and vn has
> been compiled into the kernel.

	I don't quite agree, but the definition of "configured" isn't what's
in question in here anyway.

> > I am by far not that experienced, but most replies to "I'd like to see
> this
> > feature in FreeBSD" are "supply diffs".  So I'd like to show that I
> actually
> > put some effort and thought into this solution.
> >
> > Unfortunately I cannot put any work forward until I can figure out how
> > statically compile vnconfig.  Can you (or anyone for that matter) be so
> kind
> > as to point me in the right direction for this?  I'm not asking for hand
> > holding, just a pointer or two.
>
> I think statically compiling vnconfig is entirely beside the point,
> utterly irrelevant, and is a consequence of a misunderstanding of what
> you want to accomplish.  How are you going to mount a file as file
> system or swap from a partition that itself has not yet been mounted?

	1. It is not besides the point.  And even if it is, it's my box, and
my time, why hold back this information from me?  I would like to know how
to statically compile _anything_, all I'm asking is to be pointed in the
right direction.  If you have the information, I would greatly appreciate
it, if you do not let me know and I'll look to other sources.  I don't
appreciate having the information held back 'for my own good', and this is
how this last paragraph has come across to me (if this interpretation is in
error, I apologize).

	2. I do not misunderstand what I want to accomplish.  I know exactly
what I want to accomplish and I know exactly how I'd like to do that.  Now,
if I am overlooking a simpler, more elegant, or less troublesome solution,
than I'd be more than happy to hear it.

	3. I do understand what you are saying, in that "how do you mount a
filesystem...from a partition that itself has not yet been mounted".  This
is a good point.  I was under the impression that the mount -a command read
the file from top to bottom and mounted each one in turn.   Since I would
place the vnX filesystem(s) at the end of the file, I didn't believe this
would be a problem.

	On the other hand, this discussion has pointed out to me that _I_ am
probably attacking the problem at hand from the wrong angle.  A better
solution would be to have the issue of vnconfig not being able to directly
mount cd9660 (and possibly other) filesystems addressed.  As it stands now
my only solution is to vnconfig the device node and then mount it
separately.  I am not a programmer, but I can gather the appropriate
information and file a pr on it (assuming this has not been one already
submitted).

> Do you have vn in the kernel?  Have you created the vn device nodes?
> Have you tried doing something like mounting mfsroot.flp from your hard
> drive as a file system?

	Whether vnX works on my system is not in question.  Again, I
apologize if I was vague.  I have several vn devices configured and working
properly.

> 	Annelise

	Thanks, it never hurts to have a sounding board, and unfortunately
with FreeBSD this list is the only sounding board I have.
	-Chris