Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:01:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@ns1.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Transparent Proxy: FBSD 3.0, Squid and NAT

If you are using FreeBSD 3.0 then why not use the kernel's built-in
transproxy support?

what machine is the proxy server running on? If on the gateway machine,
then all you need is the firewall rule:

ipfw add 2 fwd 127.0.0.1,3128 tcp from any to 0.0.0.0/0 80 in recv ed1 out
xmit ed0

where ed0 is your internet interface, and ed1 is your internal interface
3128 is the squid listenning port.

your kernel needs option IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Steve Ames wrote:

> I'm trying to get transparent proxying to work on my home network
> before trying to deploy it more widescale. My gateway machine is
> running FBSD 3.0 (about a week after release). I have natd configured
> and operational and am using an internal network of 192.168.9.0/24.
> The gateway is 192.168.9.1. My real IP address is 204.120.165.254.
>
> OK. So FBSD is connecting to the net fine (using the real IP). The
> rest of the machines on my network are working fine (using natd
> via the gateway). I installed squid 2.0. I changed a copy of netscape
> to use squid as a proxy server and that went pretty well. I chaned it
> back to 'no proxy' and went to work on getting things to work
> transparently.
>
> I start with the Squid page on transparent proxy (even has a section
> on FreeBSD 3.0): http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-17.html.
>
> This doesn't seem to address working while NAT is enabled but it
> seemed a good starting place. My final configuration looked like
> this:
>
> squid.conf
> ----------
> http_port 80
> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
> httpd_accel_with_proxy on
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
>
> ipfw list
> ---------
> 00049 allow ip from 204.120.165.254 to any
> 00050 fwd 127.0.0.1 tcp from 192.168.9.0/24 to any 80
> 00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ed0
> 00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
> 00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
> 65000 allow ip from any to any
> 65535 deny ip from any to any
>
> 49 & 50 are the ones I added. It would seem that you'd want to
> do the proxy before natd got it via the divert. This worked...
> kinda. It was really, really slow (much slower than just natd
> alone).
>
> Thoughts? Please?

Use the built in tproxy support?