Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:43:38 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob88@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        bbowman@vistacraft.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install on 486 with floppy reboots after mfsroot

Warren Block wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Brent Bowman wrote:
>=20
>>> I get to the end of step  "2.3.1.1 Booting for the i386=99"  where it=

>>> tells to boot the kernel and no matter what I do, it just reboots the=

>>> computer!  Therefore it looses whatever it tried to put in memory and=

>>> starts over again.    How can I get it to go to the kernel setup?
>>>
>>> My Hardware:
>>> IBM PS/Valuepoint 486  33MHz
>>> 8 MB RAM
>=20
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>=20
> This is likely the problem.  The install needs more than 8M, somewhere
> between 12 and 16M last I heard.
>=20
> If it helps, I have a Valuepoint 486 DX2/66 with 32M of RAM that runs
> 4.8 flawlessly.
>=20

I've got 4.9 running on a 486/33 with 20 MB of RAM, so if you can scrape =

up that much it should be sufficient.  It works fine as a personal mail=20
server with Courier, except that the IMAP folders containing over 10,000 =

messages cause huge amounts of thrashing when I open them.  Takes=20
several minutes.

It also takes nearly three days to build 4.9 from source on a 486/33...

- Bob