Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:03:19 +0200
From:      Martin Krzysiak <mak@irb.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.3-20010812-STABLE: xsm coredump ... and some experiences of a newbie

Hello all,

yesterday I installed a fresh snapshot from releng4-ftp-server.

Everything worked fine until I wanted to login using X.
First a strange-designed dialog box appeared.
I've never seen it before in my life, but now I think
it's the xsm (I hope I'm right).
After making a user account there is no default .xsession
file and after few clicks on the strange dialog-box
(mentioned above) it crashes with coredump (SIGSEGV)
and lets the whole server restart again.

Now after I got the idea to create my own .xsession file
it works fine.

That was my second installation in the first one (4.3-STABLE)
there wasn't such behavior.

Now a few remarks after these 2 installations:

1) Anyone knows how to setup the hostname at installation
    time? It's not fair to call me Amnesiac when there is no
    option to adjust it! :P

2) When installing from a snapshot and a package is not
    available in the package-tree, it means you have to
    take the old one from latest STABLE?

3) I'm missing a README how to make a ISO-image from
    a 4GB snapshot... *lol* (Please no stupid answers here!
    You know exactly what I mean!). A list of packages which
    SHOULD be included when making a snapshot would
    help VERY VERY much!

4) I don't want to change any concepts, but I'm always
    installing bash for my user, but the .bashrc is not being
    loaded (default). I added a line to /etc/profiles to
    force loading of ~/.bashrc (when bash is the shell,
    of course). It works, but is it the right place for this?

5) I know there is /stand/sysinstall, but I would prefer to
    have a reasonable fdisk.

6) I don't like the FreeBSD boot-loader WRITING TO MY
    BOOT-SECTOR AGAIN AND AGAIN (each time
    I start my computer) ! Any way to stop it?
    (Don't come up with stupid responses to remove it
      or to install lilo!)
     It's only a remark that you shouldn't write so often
     on the most sensitive part of the harddisk!

7) I'm really missing ConTeXt (or how was it written??).
    It's a great package!

8) Security question:
    I would like to know, which CRITICAL things can a user
    do, who is member of the group 'wheel' ?
    (I mean... without 'su root' of course)

9) Is a sequence of upgrading, downgrading, deinstalling
      and installing packages safe or does it leave trash on
      one's hard disk?

10) Perhaps you will laugh, but I changed to FreeBSD, because:
    - Linux crashed my box every day
    - the TV-adapter works! YAY!

In general, FreeBSD is GREAT!
Keep the good work guys!