Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:19:45 -0400
From:      "I'Khala" <ikhala@phoenix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quetion about kernel building on 3.2-stable

Hello,
I wanted to build a kernel based on entries in /boot/loader.conf.  I happened
to comment out the following line from my kernel config file:

	config               kernel  root on da0

and after doing a "config", and "make depend", the "make" would fail silently.  I guess
I really shouldn't say fail, but the prompt would come back immediately  without
building a kernel, so in that sense it failed.  Once I uncommented the config line
all was well.  Has anyone noticed this before with stable.  Removing the config line
works in -current.  My last cvsup was from May 21st

phoenix.cl.msu.edu:jfgreen> what /kernel
/kernel:
        FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #3: Fri May 21 18:27:19 EDT 1999

thanxs ...

#;^)

P.S.
I've also noticed that my kernel is rather large, i.e.:

	phoenix.cl.msu.edu:ikhala> ls -l /kernel
	-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     wheel     8736632 May 21 18:39 /kernel*

Is this normal?  I ask because kernels on my -current boxen are much
smaller even if I staticly link klds and include debug symbols ... :(

--
I'Khala                               ikhala@msu.edu
308 Computer Laboratory               ikhala@pager.msu.edu