Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:30:34 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        outlawtx@bga.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd

> In order to do network address translation with FreeBSD 3.3, do I have to
> compile the kernel using the following option:
>
> options IPFIREWALL
> options IPDIVERT
>

> Don James

The ipfirewall (4) manpage mentions the following kernel options:

  IPFIREWALL
  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT
  [IP]DIVERT
  ^^^^
  (The IP is dropped (small type) -- should raise a problem report on it).

so, yes, you need the options that you mentioned.  Note that unless the
kernel is compiled with the option

  IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

the firewall will deny all packets by default -- this could lock you of the
box for a while. There are a few other configuration options for the kernel
firewall support in the /sys/i386/conf/LINT file (E.g. IPFIREWALL_FORWARD)

The natd (8) manpage also mentions these configuration options, along with
details on how to setup the translation mechanism.

If you want to use your gateway as a firewall as well, you'll have to make
a few changes to the /etc/rc.conf file to activate it:

   firewall_enable="YES"
   firewall_type="open"         # Allow all packets thru'  <----- check this

The /etc/rc.firewall script establishes the rules in the kernel. You'll want
to have a look at this.

The FreeBSD handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) has a good section
on setting up firewalls. You should read that as well.

Regards,

Mike Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)