Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:25:40 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        danny@ricin.com, "Kennie H. Jones" <khjones@w3rite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp & cable, @home (help me fight the MS monopoly)

On Wednesday 26 September 2001 05:09 am, Danny Pansters wrote:

> Eventually they might, yes. And if they do and you're not using DHCP (or
> someone else who used to have the IP number that is assigned to you after
> the change) people will unintentionally "steal" each other's IP number.

Actually this shouldn't matter.  See below.

> But  nothing should stop you from using a static setup for your
> installation and when you're done set up dhclient. Make sure to put
>
> interface "xl0" {
> 	send host-name "the host/dns name they gave you without the domain"
> }
>
> in /etc/dhclient.conf.

It would be really nice if the "try DHCP" option in sysinstall could ask if
that's required.  The windows DHCP client seems to do this by default.  Does
sending the host-name break a dhcp server that DOESN'T want it? (it's my
understanding that unknown or unneeded commands are simply ignored, so the
dhclient script could be configured to send-hostname by default?).  I know
they can't use (at least for @home) use the machine's hostname, because they
only want the cx......-a part, not the .local.regional.state.home.com part.

> Claiming that @home doesn't work with freeBSD/dhclient is utter nonsense.

Definitely.  I've been using it for nearly a year now.  In that time they
have changed IP's on me three times.  My solution, since I'm too lazy to edit
my dhclient script, and the changes are fairly rare, and I have my computer
set up to dual-boot, is simply to boot windows, run winipconfig and see what
data has changed, then boot back to FBSD, and change the appropriate stuff.
(including my firewall config.  sigh).  The only downside I have noticed from
this approach is that when they DO change my IP, they also change their
routing tables, so I find myself suddenly unable to connect, even though the
modem indicates full connectivity.  So as long as they don't just switch IPs
with someone else in my local net range, it won't confuse the system too
badly.  I think one thing that they do is check if the IP is in use on a
local net before reassigning it.  Since I usually leave my computer on all
the time (in BSD <(}:  not in windows on cable ) my IP is always reporting
"in use" so unless they change the whole IP map (as I said, they have done it
to me three times in a little over a year, changing from a 24.x.x.x address
to a 65.x.x.x address and back again.) it will never reassign away from me.

mike