Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 09:13:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        BRUCE@AIIAD.COM
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: start tcp

> Hi
> Just got finished with install.  cant ping except
> myself, addressing seems ok except the machine did
> add net 224.0.0.0 which I dont understand. using
          ^^^^^^^^^
This is OK. It' s the setting up of the multicast route
(mrouting support).

> 3com etherlink III. I saw the note on the web about
> probs with this.  I also saw the tutorial page on
> this 3c509b and went through it. are there other
> probs besides this ? should I not be using it at
> all.  it's about all we use on our entire lan. by
> using dmesg | grep 0x300 I saw that other things
> were not probed because of address conflict, but
> not the other way around, like in the tutorial: I
> did not find that ep0 was not probed because of
> something else.

I don't know what special problems there may be with this
type of card but you can - and I advise you to do -
disable devices by hand using /kernel -c at the Boot:
prompt. It is likely that a probing of another device
may screw your network card.

> also 'link2' was not on the line in the existing
> hostname.ep0.  when I added it, I couldnt even ping
> myself.  turns out ep0 wasnt found at 300, and
> niether was anything else.
>
> could you tell me if the  usenix paper
> docset is readable if youre not a unix expert? does
> it point out for you what's important to set up and
> what components are involved in which goals, as
> opposed to being just a big list of features? I am
> a programmer and I have some xenix exp.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Bruce Goldberg
> ----------------------
> E-mail:	BRUCE@aiiad.com		mail:	Bruce
> Goldberg
> fax:	212-227-0127			American
> International Group
> phone:	212-770-9315			Internal
> Audit Division
> 					99 John
> Street - 5th floor
> 					New York,
> NY 10038
>
> Date: 06/28/95
> Time: 17:25:50

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950619 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-1995
0619 #1: Mon Jun 19 19:54:08 MET DST 1995     kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.d
e:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386