Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:07:04 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FReeBSD and dell optiplex

At 02:44 AM 7/23/2004, RJ45 wrote:
>anyone has tryed FreeBSD with Dell Optiplex sx280 ?
>I am not interested that audio or X11 graphics is supported,
>if the main hardware is supported and it works it would be great.
>anyone has experience with this machine ?

Like another responder, I have used FreeBSD on a variety of Dell platforms
with no notable hardware compatibility issues.

The only caution I would put forward for the Optiplex __280 models is that
they are quite new and they introduce some new hardware features to the
Optiplex model line (no PS/2 on the motherboard, SATA rather than IDE,
etc.). You will want to check carefully that the various components have
current driver support in the FreeBSD version you want to install.
Shouldn't be a problem though, as the Optiplex line is typically composed
from common, mainstream, brand name parts.

Greg Barniskis <gregb@scls.lib.wi.us>
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
South Central Library System (SCLS)
(608) 266-6348 www.scls.lib.wi.us