Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2020 13:37:26 -0800
From:      Lee Damon <nomad@castle.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two questions about autofs on FBSD

On 1/8/20 13:09 , Edward Tomasz NapieraƂa wrote:
> I'm afraid linking isn't supported.  I've always considered it
> an optimization that made sense back when NFS could have significant
> overhead and nowadays just wasn't worth it.
>
> One thing you could try is to use nullfs(5) instead of NFS for this
> specific case.  I no longer remember all the details, but simply adding
> '-t nullfs' to the map entry above should work.

Part of the problem for me is that I need to use the same map files on
multiple OSs. :/path/to/thing works in Linux but doesn't work in FBSD. I
haven't had a chance to try -t nullfs yet but I'm going to bet it
doesn't work in Linux. Then there's omnios ...

> Executing "automount" will refresh top-level mounts (ie all the filesystems
> of type "autofs"); running "automount -c" will flush cached maps referenced
> from /etc/auto_master.

Thanks. I'll try that next time this project comes around on the guitar
(which is to say, probably Friday).

nomad