Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:54:33 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Amarendra Godbole" <amarendra.godbole@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase in the number of ports: upgrade xorg to 7.2...

> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded to xorg 7.2 by doing a complete portupgrade. I run
> FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, with the default kernel, and default settings.
> Initially I had about 230 packages installed, and after the upgrade
> the number has gone up to 450! Lot of these seem to be X related
> packages.
>
> Does xorg 7.2 have more dependencies, and hence so many ports were installed?

As best I can tell, xorg has been reorganized so that instead of a few
large ports, it's now a whole bunch of small ports.

Theoretically, this should allow faster/easier updating, and eventually
allow you to deinstall a lot of xorg that you don't need (for example,
drivers for video cards you don't have)

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com