Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 98 11:47:08 EDT
From:      "CERT(R) Coordination Center" <cert@cert.org>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, grimace  <grimace@ns.nternet.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, "CERT(R) Coordination  Center" <cert@cert.org>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   INFO#98.35960 Re: Spoofed connections on port 13223??

Hello Robert,

>On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
>> CERT? Don't bother. They'll respond several months after it's too late
>> and say, "Oh, dear."

Because of the high volume of incidents we receive (now averaging
about 100 per week) and the number of people we have dedicated to
incident response, it is not possible for us to provide personal
guidance to every site reporting incidents to us as we did in the
early years of CERT.  The benefit in reporting incidents to us is for
us to understand the current activity.  This has direct impact on the
issuing of advisories and other documents.

We are working to produce more documents because our release of a
document benefits a significantly larger number of people and sites
than spending the equivalent amount of time helping a single site.

We do assist sites directly when large incidents occur especially if
they threaten the Internet infrastructure, if new types of attacks
are involved, if people's lives are at risk, etc.

We also encourage and assist in the formation of new incident response
teams.  Being a constituent of a response team with a focused
constituency allows you to have a response team that can meet your
specific needs.

>This does not seem to meet with the experiences I have had with CERT.
>Last year someone attempted to attack one of my machines by corrupting DNS
>cache entries on a caching name server at another location -- when I
>reported this to CERT, they called me that evening and offered to manage
>communications between me and the other site being spoofed, etc.  While
>they did not offer much in the way of technical advice, this was not a
>problem as I am fairly experienced in this area.  My only real problem
>with the CERT process is their incredibly long form that must be submitted
>by email.  It is inappropriate for use (or was last time I looked) in
>situations where more than one machine might be involved, or in situations
>where there is an ongoing attack but no successful breakin.  A more
>flexible (and simple) form would go a long way.  I am certain that there
>are far fewer reports to CERT because of the complexity of the reporting
>process.

We are in the process of developing several new reporting mechanisms,
including a shorter incident reporting form.  However, it is not
necessary to use the reporting form to report an incident to us.
Sending an email message to us with the relevant information.

Regards,

	jeff

- ---
Jeffrey J. Carpenter