Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 16:54:41 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pib comments.

Ade Barkah wrote:
> Well, TCL is generally pretty slow. It was supposed to be just
> a control/glue language, but somehow people are now writing huge
> code entirely in tcl+tk, ...

Exactly.  As a glue language, I haven't found anything easier to
integrate.  Of course, the counter-argument is that if you give people
enough power in the language, they'll do things they weren't intended to
do.  You can still shoot your feet off in C, C++, Perl, and even Tcl.

It's also sublime as a macro language for an application.  For the
National Weather Service, we have a feature that lets forecasters write
macros to process the forecaster text database (you know, the local
forecast stuff you actually want to see on the Weather Channel).  The
macro language is just Tcl, which is simple and crippled enough to not
let them get into too much trouble.  ;-)

> Anyway, pretty interesting numbers; they're not conclusive, of
> course, but imho one gets a feel for TCL's relative speed.

Tcl 8.0 (available in alpha right now) includes an on-the-fly bytecode
compiler.  It oughta close the gap a bit!  :-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov